Website Biodiversity Funders Group
Founded in 1987 and located in San Francisco’s Presidio, the Biodiversity Funders Group (BFG) is a professional association of grantmakers with a shared vision for a sustainable, just and healthy future for all life on Earth, advanced by a vibrant and effective philanthropic sector. BFG supports member-driven programs and special initiatives that focus on climate change and energy, marine ecosystems, land and freshwater conservation, the Gulf of California and Mexico, the Andean-Amazon Basin, and global biodiversity issues. With an annual budget of $1.8M and a staff of eleven, BFG hosts convenings, briefings, and other educational offerings such as webinars throughout the year. https://biodiversityfunders.org/
The primary role of the Program Associate is to support BFG’s Land and Freshwater Conservation Program and the Marine Conservation Program. In addition to each programs’ annual meetings (typically in March and September, respectively), the programs deliver relevant and engaging programming of interest to hundreds of grantmakers throughout the year. Working closely with the Senior Program Director and volunteer co-chairs, the Program Associate will help shape and implement learning opportunities on a range of conservation issues in virtual and in-person formats. Surfacing emerging issues and topics and identifying areas for deeper peer engagement is a valuable component of this work, affording the Program Associate opportunities to strengthen their own leadership skills and develop subject expertise.
The position includes a variety of programmatic, communication, administrative, and outreach responsibilities.
Program Coordination and Planning
- Work with members and the Senior Program Director to identify key issues, speakers, and opportunities to advance aligned or collaborative conservation initiatives
- With support and input from the Senior Program Director and program leadership, design and monitor the planning and implementation process for meetings, webinars, and other learning opportunities
- Assist the Senior Program Director with learning and networking activities for funders, including field trips and other special events
- Design and distribute announcements for program events and activities on key environmental topics
- Prepare and distribute online newsletters for program area and contribute to overall organizational updates and reports
- Notetake during webinars and meetings
- Prepare and distribute webinar and meeting follow-up communications
- Manage Zoom logistics for webinars and on-line meetings
Annual Program Meeting Support and Logistics
- With the Senior Program Director, prepare planning committee agendas and notes
- Convene periodic calls for planning committees
- Follow up with committee members on their assigned tasks
- Maintain, update, and distribute updated internal agendas
- Draft and update a detailed “run of show” and other planning tools
- Promote the meetings via email to funders to encourage robust participation
- Set up the online registration page and provide login instructions and related assistance to speakers and attendees
- Manage the event platform and assist the speakers and moderators during the meeting, including conducting test calls and practice sessions with speakers
- Coordinate speaker travel and lodging, including tracking expenses and submission to< Finance Director
- Identify local vendors and event space rentals, as necessary
- Provide support for site visits and field trips
- Be present throughout the meeting to host, coordinate panels and extracurricular events, and troubleshoot any unexpected issues
- 2+ years of experience working in philanthropic, non-profit, or governmental sectors
- Knowledge of terrestrial and/or marine conservation key issues and trends, such as 30×30, blue carbon, Indigenous-led conservation, Land Back, US and/or international conservation policy widely
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Salesforce, Mailchimp, Canva, Zoom, and event hosting platforms like Bizzabo or RegFox
- Familiarity with communications strategy and basic design skills for digital communications
- Commitment to fostering equity and inclusion in all aspects of our work
- Desire to grow with the organization
- Ability to travel as many as many as four or five times a year, for a few days at a time
- Background in successfully coordinating teams, committees or volunteer activities
- Experience in implementing virtual meetings and webinars for groups (20-100 people)
- Administrative or program experience in grantmaking foundations or philanthropy serving organizations
- Experience working for coalitions or membership organizations
- Experience in supporting or managing the logistics of meetings, conferences or other large (60-150 people) multi-day events
- Required to sit for long periods of time.
- Extensive use of computer, keyboard, and mouse
- Bend to file or retrieve documents
- Occasional light physical effort required
- Ability to lift and carry up to approximately 30 pounds
The above statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of the position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Job incumbents may be required to perform other functions not specifically addressed in this description.
LOCATION: The position is remote, but candidates based in the Pacific Time Zone are preferred. Candidates must be able to access an international airport easily.
COMPENSATION: This is a full-time position. BFG offers an excellent benefits package. Starting annual salary is $75,000.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates should email, as a single PDF, a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please reference Program Associate in the subject line.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, December 2, 2022
No phone inquiries or other attempts to reach individual BFG staff members, please. All complete applications will be acknowledged during the search process.
The Biodiversity Funders Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, race or disability. BFG’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is based upon our belief that the best organizations are composed of individuals who bring a variety of skills, perspectives, backgrounds, and resources to address complex and strategic challenges.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com